Eight Ways to Protect Against Prostate Cancer
Good prostate health is a key for men coping with the inevitable hormonal changes that accompany aging. If you’ve had a history of prostate cancer in the family, or you’re just very keen to keep yourself or your man healthy, there are some straightforward steps you can take to ensure best care.
Prostate cancer is the third most common cause of death from cancer in men of all ages, and most common cause of death from cancer in men over 75.
If you follow these rules, indicated by a survey of the best available research published on the Third Age website, you’ll be in the best position to not develop it, or beat it if you do.
Top 8 Tips for Avoiding Prostate Cancer
- Consider vitamin D. This antioxidant may help reduce overall cancer risk and lower PSA values by 25 to 50 percent in men with prostate cancer.
- Reduce free radical damage. Stop smoking and eating greasy burgers, French fries, beer, foods with MSG and other artificial chemicals, all of which assault your cells.
- Test properly. The prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test is America’s gold standard test but unfortunately it could be normal in the presence of prostate cancer, giving a man a false sense of security.
- Don’t overmedicate. Prescribed medications suppress serum DHT but lowering it too much could backfire. Very low DHT hormone will also suppress an anti-cancer hormone called androstanediol, causing more aggressive tumors. Progressive physicians know this, so they routinely measure the ratio between DHT and androstanediol, which is more important than either hormone alone.
- Consider insulin levels. Chronically elevated blood insulin levels are associated with prostate health.
- Exercise. When you are overweight, your fat cells hold on to estrogen.
- Consider diet. Men who are heavy meat eaters (5 times or more per week) are 2 1/2 times more likely to develop prostate cancer than men who eat it once a week.
- Consider natural supplements that support prostate health. Quercetin, curcumin, lycopene, beta sitosterol, saw palmetto, lycopene, melatonin and natural anti-fungals.
Herbal Support for Prostate Health
There are many herbal products available that support prostate health, often combining some of the most recognised ingredients. These can offer a “one stop shop” for men wanting to give their prostate good care. Check out one example for supporting prostate health here.