Better Sex – What’s Weight Got To Do With It?
New research suggests physical conditions that go along with obesity – like high blood pressure and insulin resistance – also affect sex drive, making it more difficult for a man to satisfy his partner.
About one third of obese people seeking help for weight control indicate problems with sex drive, desire, performance, or all three according to Dr Martin Binks, a clinical psychologist and director of behavioral health at Duke University’s Diet and Fitness Center.
The study Dr Binks undertook showed these problems can all be traced to physical conditions that co-exist with obesity.
How Weight Affects Sex Drive
Too much extra weight leads to:
- High cholesterol and insulin resistance (an indicator of the onset of diabetes) causes tiny arteries to close down, blocking blood flow to the penis and clitoris, resulting in low desire in women and impotence in men.
- High blood pressure – more common in obese people – has the same result – reducing blood flow and reducing sexual response.
- Obesity leads to lower testosterone levels, further reducing the strength of erections and sexual desire. (A natural chemical called SHGB – short for sex hormone binding globulin – is much higher in obese men. It binds up the male sex hormone, making it unavailable.)
- Increased estrogen levels in men. High levels of fat also leads the body to convert testosterone to estrogen, resulting in reduced sex drive, “man boobs” and reduced hair.
- Emotional issues like feeling self conscious about body image, and lacking in confidence to be seen naked.
Simple Changes to Boost Your Sex Drive
The good news: You can make some changes to your body (and how you think about your body) to enhance your libido.
- Lose a little weight, even 10 pounds, (5 kgs) to stimulate sex hormones
- Eat more nutritious foods, especially lots of fruit and vegetables, which control cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Key your workouts to getting blood flowing to the pelvic area (anything that exercises thighs and buttocks – walking or yoga good)
- Get yourself in the mood. Pick up a sexy novel and start reading.
- Accept your body at any size.
Herbal Enhancement for Sex Drive
Get your sex drive kick started with a herbal product like Herbal Ignite, designed to support normal hormonal function. This won’t be a “magic solution” if you still have a lot of weight on, but it will support your system as you work to reduce weight and get back to good levels of “sexual fitness”. Check it out.